LASIK or “Laser-assisted in situ keratomileusis” is a commonly performed laser eye surgery. It is used to correct people’s blurred vision. It is usually performed to treat myopia (Near-sightedness), hyperopia (farsightedness) and astigmatism. And it is a very short & simplest of surgical treatments, that easily available anywhere.
Like the other surgeries, LASIK reshapes the cornea to enable the light to pass properly into the eye onto the retina for proper view or vision.
LASIK eye surgery is a very safe surgery and is performed by an experienced surgeon. This surgery ensures minimal complications and maximum effectiveness. It is actually pain-free and takes about 15 minutes for both the eyes. You will be recommended to spend the days, after the operation in rest.
LASIK eye surgery uses cold ultraviolet rays to remove or ablate microscopic amounts of cells or tissues from the cornea so the clear it and so that light is focused more accurately and the vision is improved.
For near-sighted people, the cornea is flattened to allow better focusing on the nearest part of the retina.
For farsighted people, a steeper cornea is designed so that the light falls within n the range of the cornea wall.
The Cons of LASIK Surgery
The patient cornea cannot be reserved if any changes are done, after the surgery. It is a permanent reshaping of the cornea in order to correct vision.
- If a correction is needed, it can only make by an additional LASIK Surgery. Then it’s important to go to a licensed and an experienced surgeon.
- It will be completely correct after one year and will give you the best vision even better than the time while you are wearing your contacts or eyeglasses.
There may be a problem after LASIK, patients experienced a tear losing problem, that may be resolved by lubricating eye drops.
The Pros of LASIK Surgery
It has lots of benefits, though it has minimal risks.
- A research shows 85% were able to achieve 20/20 vision.
- It gives long lasting results after 3 months. Then there is no need to follow up regular medicinal methods.
- It is a fast and painless procedure. The surgery of both eyes completed between 10 – 15 minutes.
Just before the LASIK surgery makes sure you are being operated by an experienced surgeon, you must reveal all your health issues to the doctor and know about the cost for this surgery.