Farsightedness also knew as hyperopia is a condition in which the rays of light which enters the eyes makes the focused object is behind the retina. This results in blurred vision. In it, both near and far objects appear blurry. The reason for this is either the length of the eyeball id shorter and the focusing mechanism is very weak that it is not focusing correctly. Traditionally the condition is corrected using the convex lenses either in form of the glasses or as contact lenses.
Similarly, the nearsightedness is the also called myopia which is actually a refractive error in which the object focused is not focused on the corrected part the retina. The rays fall short in the retina, as they are focused too much. This happens because either the curve of the cornea is too steep, or the eyeball is longer than it should be. This means that you see the distant objects as blurred while the near object is perfect. This can be easily corrected using the concave lenses as your glasses or as contact lenses.
There are many surgical options who do not want to wear the glasses or the contact lenses. LASIK or ICL’s have actually opened up the whole new option in surgeries. the surgeries can also be done for those patients who were considered ineligible earlier for the surgeries. ICL provide a safe and a very powerful option not only for correcting the issue of the nearsightedness, but also farsightedness and astigmatism.
What are ICLs?
Implantation of the Collamer lenses also known as the phakic IOL, correct vision like contact lenses, and offer a form of permanent vision correction. They are invisible to the naked eyes since surgically placed inside the eye, either between the iris and natural lenses of the eye or on the top of the iris. in India, the formal type is more commonly done in India.
Patient’s criteria include
- Age should be more than 18, more preferably above 21 years and less than 45 years of the age
- Stable prescription of glasses for at least six months to a year
- The patients should not be pregnant or breastfeed
- Healthy endothelium on the eye as evaluated by the surgeon
- Patients not eligible for LASIK based on the condition like dry eyes, high refractive error, thin corneas etc.
- Patients should not have ocular disease
- Patients should not be suffering from HIV or any other severe infection
- The patient should not have iris deformities